How Does RRMG Help To Treat Your Lower Back Pain?
Back pain is considered the major cause of disability in the UK, with lower back pain affecting nearly one-third of adults every year. That’s why you must never ignore your lower back pain, whether it is acute or chronic.
At RRMG, our medical experts offer continuous holistic care starting from the diagnosis to the treatment stage, which includes both conservative therapy and surgery.
Our highly specialised multidisciplinary medical experts are available any time to provide the right care in order to get rid of your symptoms and help you return to your routine life as early as possible.
Before going through the varied treatment options, let us first understand the possible causes of back pain. The timely diagnosis of the cause of back pain helps in choosing the right treatment.
What are the causes of back pain?
The varied causes of back pain include simple mechanical problems arising from spinal structure, facet joints, intervertebral discs, or the surrounding muscles.
There are other serious but rare conditions such as vertebral fracture, disc herniation, spinal stenosis, compression fractures due to osteoporosis, tumour, and infection.
A detailed MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan helps to determine the cause of back pain. You can opt for conservative treatment if there is wear and tear change in the spinal structure.
At RRMG, our skilled and experienced medical specialists offer:
- A complete assessment
- Detailed medical history related to back pain
- Thorough neurological and spinal examination
- Quick radiological examinations including X-rays and MRI scans to determine the source of pain
- Second opinion service with our Neurosurgeon Gordan Grahovac (need to link to his website)
After diagnosing the cause of your condition, our medical experts will recommend the right treatment which should be started as early as possible to prevent permanent damage.
What is the treatment for lower back pain?
The various procedures to treat your lower back pain include:
1. Cortisone injections (Spinal injections)
If the back pain radiates towards the leg, the doctor will recommend a cortisone injection into the space around the spinal cord. This helps to reduce inflammation around the nerve roots. The pain relief can last for a month or two.
Types of spinal injections
There are many types of spinal injections:
- Transforaminal epidural injection can be given at a specific nerve or spinal area from where the pain arises.
- Facet joint injection resolves consistent pain arising from the facet joints at the back of the spine.
- Sacroiliac joint injection can bring relief from inflammation and pain that arises due to sacroiliac joint dysfunction. This joint is located at the lower part of the spine at each side of the sacral region.
- Caudal epidural injection is given at the bottom of the spinal region, especially if the pain arises from multiple areas.
These injections can be used to treat spinal issues like spinal stenosis, sciatica, arthritis and “slipped disc”.
Depending on the spinal problem, our team will recommend the injection which is best for you.
Our team is experienced in administering spinal injections precisely, effectively and comfortably so that you can get rid of back pain quickly.
Administration with the help of very fine needles will take only 5-10 minutes, with lesser discomfort.
Successful spinal injections enable you to get back to your routine activities swiftly and result in a natural, lasting recovery from spinal pain. Even a complete recovery is possible, and the avoidance of surgery as well.
Every medical procedure involves minimal risk of pain, infection, numbness, or nerve injury. Thankfully, all these side effects resolve themselves within 24 hours after undergoing the procedure.
As mentioned already, spinal injections are quite safe and effective and it is possible to become active within one hour of undergoing the procedure. You can usually find an immediate improvement in spinal pain. However, it can take weeks for the steroids to work.
2. Radiofrequency neurotomy
Insertion of a fine needle through the skin into the affected area where the radio waves are penetrated through the needle to target the surrounding nerves that interfere with the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
3. Implanted nerve stimulators
The devices implanted under the skin can supply electric impulses to nerves for blocking pain signals.
If you are not experiencing any improvement by undergoing the above treatments, for example, if you continue to experience persistent back pain, radiating leg pain, progressive muscular weakness due to compression of nerves, herniated disc, or spinal stenosis, then surgery might help.
How does RRMG treat your lower back pain?
At RRMG, the treatment for lower back pain is tailored specifically for every patient depending on the cause and severity of the pain.
Our medical team provides:
- A detailed explanation of the cause of your back pain
- The determination of whether the back pain is acute or chronic and the recommendation of an appropriate individualised treatment strategy
- Multidisciplinary care
- Administration of the latest multimodal analgesic medication
- Specialised orthopaedic therapy and physical rehabilitation to improve the spinal function
- Administration of the latest minimally invasive pain management procedures such as facet joint, epidural, and sacroiliac joint injections
- Advanced procedures including facet joint and sacroiliac joint radiofrequency denervation
- Surgical consultation, in case minimally invasive treatments, do not work
The doctors will recommend a follow-up consultation six weeks after undergoing the medical procedure to evaluate the progress. However, our medical team is available at any time for any clinical support or advice.
Furthermore, our consultants might suggest repeating the same procedure or recommend an alternative depending on the severity of the condition during the follow-up visit. Hence, it is mandatory to do follow-up visits as informed.
Do you want to get rid of back pain as early as possible without any major complications? Contact our RRMG clinic today!
We are here for you
Make an Appointment Today!
WELCOME TO RRMG!
Welcome to a Family RRMG Healthcare
Rogers Regenerative Medical Group (RRMG) provides world-class Regenerative Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine specializing in the comprehensive treatment of the musculoskeletal system and the use of specific treatment types best suited for sports injuries and a variety of other health issues. The treatments range from non-operative, minimally invasive, regenerative therapies or a combination.
Other services include metabolic medicine, exercise physiological testing, weight management, biomechanical analysis, ergonomic assessments, gait and postural analysis to identify and measure abnormal movement patterns and muscle imbalances, running medicine, nutritional guidance and weight management.
+44 (0) 20 7112 5400
Contact us for a