Fibromyalgia is a common medical condition that causes widespread pain in the body, often in the feet and ankles, accompanied by fatigue and memory problems.
Make an enquiry
Contact us to make an enquiry about Fibromyalgia treatments at RRMG
Fibromyalgia treatment at Rogers Regenerative Medical Group
Fibromyalgia is a common medical condition that causes widespread pain in the body, often in the feet and ankles, accompanied by fatigue and memory problems. The condition affects the way the brain processes nerve signals, particularly pain. It is thought that fibromyalgia affects up to five per cent of the population, with middle aged women being the most common to report symptoms associated with the condition.
Fibromyalgia sufferers may experience pain in the soft tissue and muscles surrounding the foot and ankle, affecting the ability to stand, walk and exercise.
Symptoms of foot and ankle fibromyalgia
According to studies, around 50 per cent of patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia experience pain in their feet and ankles. However, it is important to rule out other underlying issues that could cause foot and ankle pain such as arthritis, thyroid problems, endocrine conditions or injuries to the area. Fibromyalgia can also cause the following symptoms, varying in severity:
NUMBNESS AND TINGLING
EXTREME PAIN THROUGHOUT THE BODY
CONSTIPATION, NAUSEA OR EXCESSIVE GAS.
MEMORY LOSS AND CONFUSION
DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY
STIFFNESS, PARTICULARLY IN THE MORNING
Treatments for fibromyalgia of the foot and ankle
Treatments for fibromyalgia need to be specifically tailored to the individual as each case is completely unique. Most treatment options are designed to relieve pain and at Rogers Regenerative Medical Group we can provide a specialist treatment plan which may include the following:
- Further tests to identify any underlying causes of foot and ankle pain
- Specialist insoles to help relieve foot and ankle pain
- Anti-inflammatory medications, including prescription pain relievers to reduce inflammation and help to relieve pain
- Antidepressants, sleep medication, muscle relaxants and anti-seizure medications
- Physiotherapy to strengthen and stretch the muscles surrounding the feet and ankles. Your physiotherapist may also provide an exercise plan along with massage therapy to ease tension
- Acupuncture may be offered depending on the case, along with other treatment options
- Counselling can be provided to help with the psychological pain of living with fibromyalgia.
Dr. Ralph Rogers MD PhD MBA and CEO of RRMG is a Consultant in Regenerative Orthopedics & Sports Medicine who uses his wealth of experience to effectively tackle chronic pain and acute discomfort with innovative Regenerative Medicine treatments.
His impressive resume includes global qualifications gained at some of the finest institutions in the world. A degree in Psychology at the University of Delaware was followed by medical training at the University of Leuven in Europe, and further qualifications gained at the University of Maryland, the Free University of Brussels and the University of Leicester – including a Master’s of Science (MSc) in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Imaging and a PhD in Exercise Physiology.
44 (0)20 7112 5400
R R M G
10-11 Bulstrode Place